HYDROMETALLURGY IN RAW MATERIALSUTILIZATION
Introduction to hydrometallurgy
HydroMetEC is a lifelong learning program organized within EIT Raw Materials academy, coordinated by NTNU. It will educate engineers from industry, scientist at RTOs, as well as undergraduate and postgraduate students about hydrometallurgy. Employees from mining, metallurgical, recycling and chemical industry are welcome to attend the project events about primary and secondary raw materials and their treatments in hydrometallurgical processes. Hydrometallurgical processes have become more important in recent years to extract and recycle various metals from different sources and in establishing circular economy to address the environmental challenges in different sectors.
HydroMetEC will provide innovative professional training courses by applying digital approaches and tools, organizing international seminars, as well as building a European network in the field. These will consolidate the EIT portfolio in EIT-labelled activities. An online course will be given each year and a physical international seminar will be organised in 2024 and 2026.
Module 1: Fundamentals of Hydrometallurgy I
- Hydrometallurgical process in metals production
- Metal resources for extraction and recycling
- Key techniques inlcude leaching, separation, and electrowinning
Module 2: Fundamentals of Hydrometallurgy II
- Principles of thermodynamics (including HSE use)
- Kinetics in hydrometallurgy processes
- Sampling and materials characterization
Module 3: Hydrometallurgical process applications
- Production of alumina, copper, solar silicon, and Sc
- Recycling of PGEs and lithium-ion batteries
- Innovative applications in iron production